The path of each alcoholic in recovery to sobriety begins with detoxification, in which the body eliminates all traces of alcohol. Many consider detoxification to be the most difficult part of the recovery process, but the good news is that it only lasts a few days. And once you’re done, everything else is easy to compare. However, it will be of little comfort for any serious alcoholic who faces the possibility of a difficult detoxification.
If you are about to start this stage, here are some ideas to keep in mind.
- Try not to panic. The worst thing a detoxification addict can do is turn an event into something more than it is. Detoxification can be a bit awkward, and you may have some difficult times, but don’t despair. With a little effort, you can easily overcome it. Panic will only make it worse than necessary.
- Trust your doctors. Everything will be much better during detoxing from alcohol if you only listen to what your doctor advises. It may still have some resistance to the healing process, this is natural for long-time alcoholics, but don’t let denial overcome it. Rely on experts instead.
- Take your mind. During alcohol detoxification, you may be tempted to focus excessively on the intense emotions you will naturally feel. But you will have enough time for an independent exam when you go through the detoxification stage. Do not let your cravings or temporary discomfort still catch you. Do your best to distract yourself. They can help activities like reading, watching TV or just talking to someone.
- Think positively. To say that a recovering drug addict who is addicted to alcohol “stays positive” may seem like stupid advice, but it is so important that he be mentioned. The only way to progress productively is to know that things will go better. For a while, everything may not be easy, but in the end, joining a rehabilitation center will be the best decision you have ever made. Think of bad things to drink and focus on positive sobriety.
- Be healthy. Focus on strengthening your body and increasing energy levels. This will make you bounce faster and give you the momentum needed to cheer you up. During alcohol detoxification, start working in a long-term health and fitness regime. Take this opportunity to correct bad habits and talk with your doctors about how to be healthy. If you are in a stationary rehabilitation center, there may even be some resources to help you get started well.