A Baked Apple a Day Keeps Your Sweet Tooth at Bay!
What would the Pilgrims think?
This old fashioned treat is almost like an inside-out apple crisp, with the oats and brown sugar filling nestled within. It’s the kind of breakfast that might just get you moving on a cold winter’s morning, and one you’ll certainly want to share with your house guests.
- 4 medium apples
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3 tablespoons softened butter
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 1/2 cup apple juice
Related: 21 delicious apple recipes that’ll steal the show at Thanksgiving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wash, peel the apples halfway, and remove the cores, taking care not to pierce through the bottom of the apple. Make a nice wide core, so there is plenty of room for the filling.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the brown sugar, oats, butter, walnuts, spices and lemon juice until crumbly. Divide mixture equally between the apples, mounding it a bit.
- Place apples in an 8 x 8 inch baking pan and pour the apple juice all around the bottom.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until tender. Serve warm with gently whipped cream spooned over the top.